Tuesday 2 August 2016

The Olympic Torch ; Fulfilling Dreams


As the Olympic Torch relay continues it's passage through Rio in Brazil, and nears it's final destination on Friday, several athletes from around the World, have been giving a dream fulfillment opportunity of carrying the torch. Amongst these athletes, is the moving story of  Mark O'Brien, a 13-year old from Ireland, who missed out on the opportunity to carry the torch at London 2012, after he fell sick with an illness that attacked his immune system. 

Two years later, he wrote to the Rio 2016 president, Carlos Nuzman to ask if he could take part in bringing the Olympic flame to it's next city. "I got an email and I though it was a joke, but I checked it was real, and I was really happy" -  Mark said. "I'm fulfilling a dream, my dad and my sister came with me to see this special day" . 
Mark was among those that carried the Olympic torch on Thursday, 28th July in Volta Rendonda, and for him, it was a realization of a personal dream, as carrying the iconic flame helped him to motivate himself, when he was battling with a life-threatening illness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment